My apologies for the delay – right after the last post, my host performed an upgrade that went a little wonky and I haven’t wanted to post until it got all cleared up. Looks like we are firing on all cylinders now, so off I go.
When I last left you, we were just about to discuss something called a healing crisis (through the use of essential oils). Just for the record, this isn’t something that is just made up to help alternative practitioners explain certain symptoms when they are trying to help clients get better. There is an actual scientific description for this:
Herxheimer Reaction: reaction to endotoxins released by the death of harmful organisms within the body
This reaction is usually short-term (from days to a few weeks) and quite simply put, it is a detoxification reaction. It is a normal, even healthy, reaction that lets you know that parasites, fungus, viruses, bacteria or other pathogens are either being killed off or eliminated. One of the biggest problem with a healing crisis is that people will stop taking the very thing that is causing this reaction, thus ending the treatment that is helping them get better.
The way you experience a typical healing crisis can vary from person to person, and believe it or not, can indicate the issue that it is trying to correct. In the list below, the symptom is first, and what that particular symptom is trying to correct is next (this list is by no means comprehensive):
- Lethargy: acidic body, poor liver function, over exhaustion
- Headache, heavy headed: high blood pressure, sign of detoxification
- Fever, slight fever, restlessness: increase metabolism, stimulate body immune function
- Loose stools, are dark urine: accumulated waste in colon
- Flatulence, gassy stomach: poor digestive system
- Rashes, hives, itchy skin, dandruff: poor liver function, poor colon health, poor elimination system
- Mucus: poor lung function
- Nose bleeds: anemia
- Muscle and joint aches and pain: acidic body, toxins accumulated at the affected area (usually as a result of some previous injury)
- Insomnia: poor nervous system
- Irregular period, changes in period: hormonal imbalance
- Dizziness, hunger: hypoglycemia, anemia
- Nausea, constipation, hiccups: poor digestive system, liver problem
- Edema: kidney issues
Is there a way to lessen this reaction? I wish there was. Short of stopping the very thing that is helping you, it’s best if you can just tough it out. It is amazing how well you feel on the other side.
If your particular healing crisis is bad, listen to your body if it says DON’T EAT. Fasting and drinking water is about the best thing you can do for a full blown healing crisis. Fasting removes energy from the digestive tract where it can now be utilized for healing and detoxification. Water is imperative, as well as a homemade electrolyte Gatorade type drink.
Most of all, thank your body for having the remarkable ability to heal itself when given the right tools.
Next time, I will delve into why choosing the right essential oil is imperative to your health.
Question of the Day:
Have you ever experienced a healing crisis? If so, care to elaborate?