When you begin the Protocol, you will spend a lot of time thinking about dieting. In fact, I bet you will think about the Protocol all day long. Some of you may even dream about it.
And that’s ok. When something is new, it’s normal to want to learn about it so you can do your best.
But, one of our goals in the program is to put your focus beyond just the weight loss. In truth, we believe that maintenance is the true goal. And to successfully reach that goal, we have found that focusing on more than dieting and food is important. You need to focus on creating positive mental health.
It is not enough to just lose weight. A large factor in getting to and maintaining your goal is having a good frame of mind. I propose that Protocol is 5 percent diet, and the other 95 percent is a positive mental state. That proposition changes your perspective about what’s most important, huh?
If what you think about has such an important role in your success, then you need to know what you can do to create positive mental health.
Below are some tips to help you accentuate the positive:
Talk About It
If you’re dealing with challenges, one of the simplest things you can do is to find someone to talk to. Sometimes just the act of putting into words what you are feeling will help you think more clearly about a situation. Talking can give you a fresh perspective on what is truly making you feel bad.
Write it Down
Journaling is a powerful tool. Studies have shown that journaling provides significant benefits to a person’s psychological well-being, as well as their physical health and physiological functioning. Researchers have shown that people who journal report significantly less distress, feel less depressed, and are overall in a better mood.
MOVE Your Body
Now, I am not talking about spending hours at the gym or spending day after day with an exercise routine. What I mean is spend a little time every day doing some form of physical activity. You will feel better IMMEDIATELY through the release of endorphins and other chemicals into our body.
For example, take a brisk walk, 30 minutes every other day.
Sleep is instrumental in your weight control journey. In fact, sleep is where the chemicals that control your appetite and satiation are released. Lack of sleep causes leptin levels to go down (making it harder to feel full after a meal), and then it causes gherlin levels to rise (which stimulates your appetite). Above all else, adequate sleep seems to be the key ingredient to weight control.
Change your surroundings
It is easy to sit and “stew” when you are feeling anxious or depressed. Something as simple as getting out of that environment can clear your head, improve your mood and make it easier for you to clearly see those negative thoughts for what they are: untruths, limiting beliefs and emotional blocks that do not serve you.
Change Your Thinking
There was a movie awhile back that spoke about how Thoughts Become Things. Every thought, negative or positive, becomes part of your reality. If you simply change your thought process, you can change the outcome.
Just Three Things
When you learn something new, you get excited about it. You might even believe that if you could just do it ALL then everything will all fall into place, instantly. More often than not, that way of thinking is a set up for failure. Instead, try taking baby steps.
Try this: Take some paper and pen to your bedside. Before you fall asleep, write down three good things that happened to you during the day. Did something make you smile? Find three. Write them down. By the end of the week, review your list. You might be amazed at how much good is in your life.
Find a new hobby or learn a new skill. Try a craft like crochet or knitting. Try drawing, painting, playing an instrument, golfing … the list is limitless.
When you help someone else, it makes you feel good. There is so much you can do to help others: You can feed and clothe the poor; build houses; visit the elderly; read to children in hospitals; or become Big Brother or Big Sister to kids who need good role models.
So there it is. I’ve offered you nine tips to help you create positive mental health.
Now, it’s YOUR turn. Your mission is to come up with one more tip. Put your thinking caps on and create your own positive mental health by listing in the comment section below your favorite tip toward achieving positive mental health.